By Juliana Pires Johnson
When it comes to pizza and carbs in LA, few places come close to Pizzana, as I referenced on my guide to West LA.
Aside from the mouth-watering pizzas, Pizzana often drops limited edition sandos and their Grandma Joan Meatball sub was a favorite in our house. It may have packed some extra lbs. on us so I took some inspo from this masterpiece to create my own low carb, keto version, especially now that its gone from the menu.
Enjoy this “healthier for you” at-home version to hit the spot any day of the week!
Keto/ Low Carb Bread Baguette
- 1 ½ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup psyllium husk
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup flax meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 large egg whites
- 2 whole eggs
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
Kelly LeVeque’s Flax Meatballs
- 1 pound 100% grass-finished ground beef, sirloin or bison (we love Butcherbox)
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup ground flax meal
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1½ teaspoons pink Himalayan salt
- 1½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 (16-ounce) jar of Primal Kitchen Marinara Sauce (or your favorite marinara)
- Parmesan cheese
Directions – Bread
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk to combine (almond flour, psyllium husk, coconut flour, flax meal, 1 teaspoon salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl add egg whites, eggs, buttermilk, apple cider vinegar, and water. Whisk until frothy.
- Slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix well just until incorporated.
- Divide and portion dough into small buns, loaves, etc.
- Bake for about 32 minutes until bottoms and edges are golden brown
- Remove from the oven and brush tops of each roll with melted butter, then sprinkle with sea salt. Place back in the oven under a broil for 2-3 minutes until tops are golden brown.
Directions – Meatballs + Finishing
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (it should already be perfectly heated if you’re doing this right after making the bread)
- In a large bowl, use your hands to combine the beef, egg, flax meal, garlic, oregano, thyme, salt and onion powder. The mixture should be smooth, but don’t overdo it.
- Form the mixture into meatballs about 1-2 inches in diameter depending on how you like them and place them on an ungreased rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until browned and cooked through.
- Transfer the meatballs to an oven-safe baking dish. Pour the marinara over the meatballs to cover. Bake for 5 minutes to heat and thicken the sauce.
- Generously sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the meatballs to coat and melt
- Add cheesy meatballs into buns (2-3) and enjoy your sub!