By: Juliana Pires Johnson
Memorial Day weekend, and therefore the official start to Summer is here… so if you want to indulge in delicious and traditional dishes but keep up with your dietary goals, try these out. Gluten and grain free, paleo and mostly low carb – no one will know!
THE WILD DIET’S JUICY KETO BACON (CHEESE) BURGERS
- 1 (12-ounce) package nitrate-free/nitrite-free bacon
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter
- 1 beefsteak or vine-ripened red tomato
- 4 leaves fresh broad-leafed lettuce
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 4 ounces grass-fed cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1 tablespoon grainy garlic mustard
- Pickle spears, for serving
- Divide the bacon slices into two portions, saving 4 to 8 slices to go on top of the burgers. Mince or chop the remaining slices as fine as possible and place in a large bowl.
- Add the ground beef and coconut aminos to the minced bacon and use your hands to mix them together.
- Divide the burger mixture into four equal portions, flattening each portion into a patty with the palms of your hands.
- In a skillet, heat the other portion of bacon over medium-low heat, slowly rendering the fat from the bacon as you cook it. Once done, set bacon aside and reserve bacon fat in the skillet.
- Peel the onion and slice it into rings. Grease another skillet with butter, and cook onion slices over medium heat until caramelized.
- Cut the tomato into thick slices, and set aside for serving.
- Rinse the lettuce and pat dry. Set aside for serving.
- Heat the skillet with bacon fat over medium heat.
- Season the burger patties with salt and pepper and place in the bacon greased skillet. Cook until the underside is browned, about 3 to 5 minutes. Flip the burgers and cook for another 4 to 6 minutes more, until the meat is cooked through but the outside is not charred. If using cheese, add cheese during the last minute in the skillet.
- For each burger, lay a lettuce leaf on a plate and top with a burger, tomato, raw or caramelized onion, bacon, and garlic mustard. Serve with a pickle spear on the side.
KETO/ LOW CARB BREAD (Make into Burger Buns or Hot Dog Buns by Adjusting Shape)
- 1 ½ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup psyllium husk
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup flax meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 large egg whites
- 2 whole eggs
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk to combine (almond flour, psyllium husk, coconut flour, flax meal, 1 teaspoon salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl add egg whites, eggs, buttermilk, apple cider vinegar, and water. Whisk until frothy.
- Slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix well just until incorporated.
- Divide and portion dough into small buns, loaves, etc.
- Bake for about 32 minutes until bottoms and edges are golden brown
- Remove from the oven and brush tops of each roll with melted butter, then sprinkle with sea salt. Place back in the oven under a broil for 2-3 minutes until tops are golden brown.
FAUX-TATO KETO SALAD
- 1 large head Cauliflower (cut into small florets)
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup onion (finely diced)
- 1/3 cup celery (finely diced)
- 2 large egg (hard boiled, chopped)
- Chives (for garnish – optional)
- Cook the cauliflower on the stove or in the microwave.
Stove method: Boil a pot of water with a tablespoon of salt. Add the cauliflower, and simmer until very tender. Drain well.
Microwave method: Place the cauliflower florets in a large bowl with 2 tablespoons of water. Microwave on high for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, paprika, sea salt, and black pepper, until smooth.
- Stir the cauliflower, onion, celery, and egg together with the dressing. If desired, garnish with chives and additional paprika.
SWEEET LAUREL APPLE PIE BARS
*Makes 1 Dozen Bars
For the Crust –
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 large egg
For the Filling –
- 5 – 7 tart apples, (such as Pink Lady or Honeycrisp) peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, solid
For the Streusel Topping –
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 13 x 9-inch pan with parchment paper, letting the paper hang over the edges for easy removal.
2. Make the Crust: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt, then gradually stir in the coconut oil and egg. Mix well until everything is incorporated and a soft dough forms. Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan and set aside.
3. Make the Filling: In a large bowl, combine the apples, maple syrup, cinnamon and lemon juice. Mix to coat the apples thoroughly. Melt the coconut oil in a large heavy-duty saucepan over medium heat. Add the apple mixture to the pan and saute for 5 to 10 minutes, until syrupy.
Remove the pan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly. Arrange the coated apple slices in rows across the crust pouring any leftover pan liquid over them. Bake the bars for 40 – 50 minutes, until the apple slices are golden brown and tender but not mushy.
4. Make the Streusel Topping: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, coconut oil, maple syrup and cinnamon and stir until a batter forms. Sprinkle the struesel over the cooked apples and return the bars to the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the streusel turns golden brown, then remove from the oven.
Holding two sides of the parchment, lift the bars in one piece from the pan; allow to cool slightly on a rack. Before serving, drizzle the caramel sauce over the bars and cut into squares. Store in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
GIMME GIMME S’MORES
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Flour
- 1 1/2 Cup Spelt Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 Packet Stevia
- 2 Tbsp Erythritol Sugar (we like Monk Fruit)
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- 8 oz . Applesauce
- Marshmallows (For a healthy version, use Max Mallow)
- Dark Chocolate
- Combine all of the ingredients for the graham crackers (everything except marshmallows and chocolate).
- Knead the dough and flatten to a very thin layer on wax paper.
- Using a cookie cutter, slice the dough into small squares (creates about 40 crackers)
- Place on a greased (coconut oil or ghee) baking sheet and refrigerate crackers for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 and bake crackers for 30 minutes.
- If crackers have cooled before serving, melt 6-8 chocolate chips or chocolate square on a cracker in the microwave for about 7-10 seconds.
- Remove cracker/chocolate from microwave, let cool for a few seconds, then place heated marshmallow over it and top with second cracker.