By: Juliana Pires Johnson
If you work in Fashion & Entertainment in Los Angeles, your quarantine definitely included a Scoops by Jules ice cream pie. Founder Julia Hondros started making them as a quarantine hobby and soon it became a weeks long wait list/ advance only business, because they are incredible.
Since you definitely can’t order one right now, she is sharing the recipe so you can try to mimic it at home. Yum yum yum! You’re welcome!
Follow her at @scoopsbyjules
Makes 1 Large Pie
Cookie Crust Ingredients:
- 25 Oreo cookies
- 5 TBSP of butter
- Make the crust: Put all the Oreos in a food processor and pulse until fine
- Microwave (or melt on stovetop) the 5 TBSP of butter
- Mix Oreo crumbs with melted butter until well combined. You should be able to press down on the mixture and see a crust start to form
- Spray your pie/tart pan with PAM cooking spray/non stick oil of your choice
- Pour Oreo/butter mixture into the pan and start forming your crust – press firmly into the bottom and sides of the pan
- Freeze pie crust for a minimum of 30 minutes (or up to 24 hours)
Ice Cream Base:
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup of organic cane sugar
- 1 TSP + 1/2 TSP of vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 5-10 Oreos *added after the base has been churned.
- Create ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice/cold water – this is be used to cool down your base at the end
- Place milk, 1 cup of heavy cream and sugar into a large saucepan and warm until sugar is melted. Stir slowly and frequently. Keep temperatures relatively low so the milk/cream doesn’t curdle.
- While milk mixture is warming, separate 5 egg yolks and lightly beat until well combined
- Once sugar has completely dissolved and milk mixture is warmed, slowly temper the egg yolks by pouring 1/4 cup of warmed milk mixture into bow the egg yolks. Beat until well combined.
- Gently pour tempered egg yolks back into large saucepan, stirring gently and frequently
- Keep stove on low-medium heat while egg/milk mixture cooks
- Gently stir until mixture becomes thick or reaches 160 degrees – we want to avoid making scrambled eggs here so be patient!!
- Remove from heat, combine with remaining 1 cup of heavy whipped cream & whisk
- Place bowl into ice bath to quickly cool
- 10) Add vanilla extract and stir until well combined
- Place ice cream base in refrigerator overnight – no less than 24 hours
12) Remove ice cream base from refrigerator, whisk and churn according to manufacturers instructions
13) While ice cream is churning, chop/crush mix in Oreos – you can add more or less depending on your preference
13) Once ice cream has churned (should be the consistency of soft serve) – remove and mix in the crushed Oreos
14) Pour ice cream into Oreo pie crust and freeze. Should freeze for a minimum of 10 hours, ideally overnight.